Vanessa maintains a broad practice in all areas of tax law.
Prior to joining Felesky Flynn, she completed her articles at a major western Canadian law firm in Calgary.
Vanessa received both her Juris Doctor and Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Sociology from the University of Calgary. She was the recipient of many academic awards in law school, including the Canadian Petroleum Tax Society Faculty of Law Prize, the Felesky Flynn Prize in Taxation Law, the Estate Planning Council of Calgary Scholarship in Law, the STEP Canada Law Prize in Estate Planning and Trusts and the Soby Boyden Lenz Scholarship in Family Law.
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 2019
- Juris Doctor (J.D.), University of Calgary, 2018
- Bachelor of Arts, Honours in Sociology, University of Calgary, 2015
- In-Depth Tax Program, CPA Canada, 2022
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Canadian Petroleum Tax Society
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- “Share Compensation Taxable as Business Income When Receivable”, Canadian Tax Focus, vol. 11, no. 1, February 2021
- “Estate Freezes, Melts and the Use of Family Trusts”, Canadian Bar Association (Alberta), Taxation Non-Specialists Group Presentation, November 2020
- “Director’s Liability Arises upon a Corporation’s Failure to Remit, Strengthening the Minister of National Revenue’s Power to Issue ‘Cascading’ Assessments under Section 160”, Tax Litigation (Federated Press), vol. XXIII, no. 3, 2020
- “Dissolved Corporation Incapable of Appealing Minister’s Assessment”, Tax for the Owner-Manager, vol. 20, no. 2, April 2020
- “Estate Freezing and the Tax on Split Income”, Personal Tax and Estate Planning (Federated Press), vol. VII, no. 1, 2018